Saturday, January 5, 2013

Cream Cheese pancakes - an adaptation of the original


As with any dietary change we attempt, we try to find substitutes for those yummy foods we know and love.


Originally upon transitioning to a Paleo/Primal way of eating, I used this recipe from a blog called I Breathe, I'm Hungry. It's a blog that specializes in low-carb recipes.
The only problem was that I missed thick, fluffy pancakes. These, from my experience, don't make big fluffy pancakes. So, as with all recipes we find, we put our own little tweak on it to hopefully get the end product we desire.  

I started by adding coconut flour to keep with the gluten-free aspect. It helped to thicken the mixture, but never really got the consistency I wanted. So I kept trying. 


I had recently read the label on Bob's Red Mill baking powder and that it gets activated with heat, causing foods to develop air bubbles and thus "rise". I decided to try some in the cream cheese pancakes. I also increased the amount of coconut flour to make the batter just a touch thicker. 

I added 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 8 heaping teaspoons of coconut flour. This is how they turned out:







They rose beautifully!! And tasted just as great!


Recipe:

8 large eggs
8 oz Philadelphia Original cream cheese*
vanilla to taste (I use about 1 tbsp)
1 tsp baking powder
8 heaping teaspoons coconut flour

Blend the cream cheese, eggs, and vanilla using a stick blender (a regular blender would probably work well too). Blend in baking powder. Add coconut flour 1 tsp at a time until the batter is to your desired consistency - be careful not to add too much. Coconut flour thickens as it sits.

Pour on griddle (or pan) and wait til bubbles appear and start to pop and flip. If you flip too early, the pancakes will probably break - mine do. After flipping, wait a couple minutes to ensure the batter cooks through.


Top with butter and 100% pure maple syrup.


*I have found that Philadelphia cream cheese is softer than other brands and makes a thinner batter. When I use the generic brand at our local grocery store, the batter comes out thicker before adding coconut flour, so adjust your coconut flour as needed for your preferred consistency. 

Substitutions:

For those who are dairy free, as my son will be again after his birthday party tomorrow, there is a dairy-free cream cheese recipe out there that uses cashews. I have not tried it yet, but have heard it tastes delicious with these pancakes. The recipe for the dairy-free cream cheese can be found here


Products: 

If you're interested in using the same products I used to make these, you can find them at the links below. 


Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour

Bob's Red Mill Baking Powder

I'd LOVE to hear what you think of these after you try them. Leave a comment in the box below, if you please. :) 

1 comment:

  1. After having tried both cream cheese and Coconut flour pancakes, and not being happy with either I suspected a hybrid of the two would be the answer. I'm so happy you posted this recipe, because it's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete